I let a manager at Wireless Toyz talk me into trying a Palm Treo 755p with Sprint. What a stupid mistake. I was perfectly happy with T-Mobile; I just needed a new phone. I should’ve gone back to the Blackberry Pearl that I had at the beginning of the month and been happy. Instead, I decided to give a full-figured PDA a try, and I’ve been angry about it every since. Here are some of the reasons the 755p is not for me:
- Sprint doesn’t work with SpinVox, and SpinVox may be my favorite thing of 2007
- Treos and Macs do not get along easy (total time to set up syncing: 3.5 hours)
- the 755p is a brick; it’s so heavy my pants sag when it’s in my pocket
- It takes 2 hands to accomplish most tasks with the 755p
- Sprint is insanely expensive – $105/month for voice, data, text messaging
- You can’t download pictures from the Treo to your desktop; you have to go through Sprint Picture Mail
- The default ring tones are all bad.
- Chat help from Palm is not available for Mac users
And those are just the 8 I could think of right away. Argh! Do not buy a 755p if you are a Mac user or value your time. I can’t speak to the Windows side, but getting iSync to work took 3.5 hours and a hard reboot of the 755p. I’m exhausted and irritated and still can’t tell if my contacts made it over to the device. Boo!